Sunday, November 7, 2010

Russia - Day ! - Arrival

Approximately 30 hours after leaving my home.... I arrived in Russia! It was sooo fabulous to see Mom and Dad. For selfish reasons I was sad to think of them gone for 18 months, missing all of the cute things that especially the two little ones are doing. It hasn't been as bad as I thought it would be - actually quite good for everyone. And now that I've seen firsthand the influence and help that they are for the Russian people, well of course it is amazing. Who wouldn't love those two? They are incredible and a great combination.

Well, you might think that after a long flight, the traveling would be done. Nope. A train ride to the metro, then the metro (complete with a transfer or two) to head to the central building to get my registration processed. Thank goodness they have friends and connections to make this process easier. Grabbed a quick bit to eat at the mall, then back on the metro (yes, we're still hauling my suitcases around at this point) but we eventually made it to their apartment. I forget what living in a big city is all about. You simply don't have door to door service like you do with a car which I think is GREAT! What a great way to build exercise into your life. No wonder mom and dad look great.

Here we are, outside of mom and dad's apartment.


After dragging my suitcases up a few flights of stairs, I was so happy to see what a comfy bed I'd have for my stay. :)

Here's my bed the bed I slept on for 10 nights - yikes!

We had time to get a tour of the apartment (that took literally 48 seconds) it is that miniature. :) And then we were off to some of their mission commitments. Meetings and a Doctrine and Covenants class in English. I thought I was doing great with the lack of sleep, but I guess I needed a little snoozer because I sat down on the couch in the foyer and fell asleep for at least 30 minutes.

I was surprised at how much water my body can retain. Not a pretty thing. Note to self - drink LOTS of water while traveling, especially when traveling that far. I was able to find a somewhat discreet place to practice some yoga, including laying the floor with my feet up the wall. The other recommendation for future travel - tennis balls. I know that sounds strange, but if I sit on them periodically and use them on my lower back, my body is so much happier.

Пока! (Russian for bye.)

1 comment:

  1. I just read every word of your entry's on your trip. Did you know I served a Russian Speaking mission in the Baltics? I would love to see Russia!! What a great trip!

    ReplyDelete