Sunday, November 7, 2010

Russia - Day 2

The missionaries invited us to join them on their p-day on the Moscow River Ride. What a great suggestion! I would highly recommend this to anyone, especially at the beginning of your trip. I was able to get a good visual of where things were in relation to one another as well as get a preview of some of the upcoming attractions.

That evening Mom and Dad facilitated English Club with about 8 to 10 students. They have a great format for teaching the class. On the chalkboard, they write down a few idioms and then discuss the meaning of each phrase. The English language sure is quirky, isn't it? This is followed by a couple of articles (one selected by Mom, one selected by Dad) and the students take turns reading a paragraph at a time. This is followed by either Mom or Dad rereading the same paragraph. I love this format because it lets the students practice reading out loud and then they also get to hear the same content read by someone who has English as a first language. I received a funny comment from one of their students who recognized me from the previous night. He had told his friend that my English was quite good (at that point he thought I was a new Russian student - lol). It wasn't until Mom and Dad introduced me as their daughter that he realized I wasn't Russian. :)

Пока!

No comments:

Post a Comment